Friday, November 11, 2011

A Face That Breaks My Heart

The sad reality of feral and stray cats. Those who know me, know I feel it is very important to give every feral or stray cat that I come across, a name. It gives them purpose, and makes them important. This is Oliver, I think the name suits him well.
He showed up a couple of months ago. Until recently all of my photos of him were taken in the dark and I was never able to see just how bad his eyes were.
He would come to eat in the shelter and on my patio after the other ferals ate first. He would always keep his distance from me until I was safely indoors where I can observe him through the window.
Each time I would set the traps out he wouldn't show. Then weeks would pass before I would see him again. Typical when you think a cat would be easy to trap, you watch their schedule, you plan, then they change their routine on you. It gets discouraging, but you don't give up.
Since last month, Oliver and I have built a relationship, with just a bit of trust. He now comes to eat with all the ferals, he sits and waits on the patio for me to bring the wet food treat they all get each evening. He even allows me to pet his head some while he is eating. The infection in his eyes is disturbing. His vision is very poor. I honestly can't imagine that he can see anything, except shadows in a fog.

I realized just how poor his vision was when I had the trap right in front of him and was hoping to have gained enough trust to just guide him in. His head was very wobbly, trying to focus. He knew something was there, within two feet from his face, but he couldn't focus, he was frightened and left the yard. I then realized each time he didn't show when I set the trap was because things were moved in the yard, the trap was a foreign object that he couldn't see well, so he kept his distance.
While watching him daily, and viewing the dozens of photos I have taken, he appears to have a growth on the inside of his left lower jaw. It could be a tooth abscess, but until he is vetted, I won't know for sure.
I am remaining positive in hopes that he has nothing contagious. His nose is clear, his weight is good, his breathing sounds normal. Perhaps the infection in his eyes is just from fighting, and the growth in his mouth is just a bad tooth.

I discovered tuna is the most tasty thing he goes absolutely crazy for. I am trapping again tomorrow night, and hoping the tuna, and the little bit of trust he is gaining with me will be promising.

I also hope and pray after vetting, he can be helped. Here again, is another big gray tomcat that has captured my heart.

17 comments:

Rae said...

I have missed you and your blog. I was away for awhile. Bless you for all you do for the feral cats. I pray also that you are able to trap Oliver. Poor thing. So sad. He is lucky to have you.

RoeH said...

I can't stand it. I absolutely fall apart in tears when I see these poor little ones. So glad he is with you. I swear that in the next life, I want to be with all the animals that were abused and neglected if I can't do it here.

Terry and Linda said...

Like Rae I miss you and your blog. I love how you care for those in dire strights! You are a delight! My prayers are for Oliver to receive help soon and it is easily treatable!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

CatHerder said...

I feel your pain. I have been feeding "oscar" for over 5 years now. Trapping, well impossible for the most part as he is SUPER FERAL. Well i was able to trap last winter..unfortunately my boss was out of town and hubby decided to let him out of the trap onto my sunporch, where he stayed warm and fed all winter, but couldnt trap again to have vetted. We wound up letting him out when we had an uncommonly hot spring day, it gets hot out there even with the ceiling fan...well, we are in the process of trying to trap him, and hurricane kitten #2 (Guinness) which we plan on trying to home. I have been trying to socialize oscar for years...i was able to pet his head for the first time this week without getting scratched...i fear he isnt feeling well..he is the most beautiful feral ever. Good luck to you

Carolina said...

Oh that poor boy. I'm sending lots of positive vibes your way. Hope you will be able to take him to a vet and that it isn't really serious. His eyes look terrible. Poor boy. Good luck with him.

xx

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Oliver is a handsome dude, in spite of his condition. He's so lucky to have you in his corner! I hope you can get him fixed up!

It sure is nice to see you out and around blogland, today!

Happy, Waggin' Tails, FUREVER!
Stumpy and me

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, Oh what a huge heart you have and I think you deserve a crown for all that you do for the strays. I hope you catch him soon and that he is able to be helped.
My old Reggie is still hanging in there and I'm so thankful for him-don't know what I'd do without a dog.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs, Noreen

SquirrelQueen said...

Oliver looks like a very sweet boy. I hope you will be able to trap him and get him to a vet. Hopefully this is something easily treatable.

If it doesn't work this time maybe leave the trap in the yard so he gets use to it being there.

Fur Everywhere said...

I am absolutely amazed at the generosity I have found in you and others who write blogs about feral kitties. I am so thrilled that there are people out there who will use their time and resources to help kitties in need and I wish I could do more for kitties in need, too. Please let us know how it goes with Oliver. You're right - his name definitely seems to fit him well! :)

Sam said...

You are an angel. Best of luck trapping this guy and get him the attention he needs.

Marie said...

Oliver is very lucky to have you. I hope you're able to help him. I have the most respect for people who help animals in need. I've helped a few animals from doggies to wildlife and there's no better feeling. Have a wonderful week!

Freya's Staff said...

Such a wonderful post, God bless him.

We loved it so much, we shared it on our Facebook page.

thanks for everythng you do.

Daisy said...

Oh, poor Oliver! I hope you are able to trap him soon and he will get all better. Thanks for looking out for him.

Phyllis said...

Breaks mine as well. There are so many and it's a never ending battle for the innocents that pay a heavy price for irresponsible and uncaring humans.

I fed a feral cat for over a year. He (she?) was gorgeous and wild as the day is long. I put a dish of food and water out for him every evening. Sometimes he didn't show up but most of the time I'd see him setting far out in the field just waiting for me to go inside so he could eat. This spring I found him under a bush right near where I fed him. He had been hit by a car and couldn't move. I don't know how he made it up the hill from the highway to come to me for help. I took him to my vet and had him euthanized and cried like he was one of my own.

Thank you for helping any of them you can.

scout and freyja said...

I will be praying that this sweet animal is trapped and vetted. Would it be possible to put a little anti-biotics in his tuna?

BlackDog's Photographer said...

How is Oliver?

BTW, Congratulations! I just awarded you the Liebster Award. :)
http://scratch-my-butt.blogspot.com/2011/12/liebster-blog-award.html

Anya said...

His face is heart-breaking. I didn't realize about his eyes when I wrote my first comment. Poor boy.