Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cat Trapping

Remember *The* Karl?! Aw, I really love this boy. He reminds me a lot of BT. A big, strong feral tom cat, who really, deep down is just a pile of mush that wants a home to call his own, and feel safe.
Finally got him trapped this past Sunday for his neuter. He had some pretty nasty battle wounds behind his ears, and neck. The vet shaved , cleaned, medicated and ear tipped him as planned.

We couldn't just let Karl take a trip without his partner in crime, so yes, we also trapped the Linx Point, which my husband so dearly named Storm.
Isn't that just an adorable face!
Storm was not too happy in the trap, as you can see in the photos the newspaper was shredded within minutes.
He also had wounds that needed cared for by the vet, and also an eye infection. Both boys were quite easy to trap. I originally set out the traps Saturday evening, without success. The only ones I kept trapping were the other cats in my existing colony. Sunday early morning I reset the traps with little hope, but within 10 minutes of each other, they both didn't hesitate to walk in.

We didn't get them back home until late, so they had to sleep in the traps overnight, until I could release them Monday morning. If any of you reading have ever been involved in TNR and releasing a feral, then you know the feeling you get, when you open that trap to release them. A feeling I can't really explain comes over you. Here is a cat you have never come close to touching, a cat born feral, terrified of humans. As a caretaker you build a special bond with these cats, a different sort of bond and relationship that you would with a normal household pet. They want to trust you, but they don't, and not trusting is what, for the most part, keeps them safe. We have this understanding. As they ran out of the traps, they jumped on the wall, stopped, turned, and just looked at me, then at their surroundings, then back at me, then they knew, they were home.
I have another kitten similar to Lacee who has shown up, I am now working on trapping. I also have a stray, that most likely was dumped, and causing quite a bit of ruckus around here. Those two are my next priority.
So many things have been keeping me away from blogging. Eventually, I hope, things will settle some. Until then, hope all is well with all my blog friends.

23 comments:

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

WOW! Those are two handsome cats! It's great they've been nuetered and medicated. Kudos to you and your vet!

I've given up the hope that anything will ever settle down around here. But we just keep on doing.

good to see your typing!

RoeH said...

My heart just goes out to these wild and stray cats. And these are so beautiful.

Brenda Eason said...

Awww so sweet. he lloks just like my cat I had for years that got ran over trying to follow me to town. I have his daughter and she is know huge,but Calico.

Fireblossom said...

Tammy, dear heart!!! Your kitties are so special. What a face!!! There is a special place in Heaven (which is FULL of animals, and a few humans) for you.

I miss you! Please, if you ever have a minute, come by and see me at WG, or give me a call. Don't forget me, dear friend. :-)

PS--Bosco says "arf!"

♥Caroline♥ said...

very pretty cats...so glad your able to take care of them.

Sounds like you been real busy..Hopefully you will be back into the swing of things again. Miss ya..

Stacy Disarrayed said...

good to hear from you T!

Freya's Staff said...

That's a wonderful story! What a lovely thing to do!

Lisa said...

I was so happy to see you post again. I have missed your great posts.

Great story and Great pictures!

What a wonderful thing you do T!

xoxox, lisa

Phyllis said...

Hey T,

I've helped a few feral cats; they can be pretty scarey little creatures.

Last year I trapped a big, long haired male that showed up (where do they come from???). He was neutered and released qhickly. He was so frantic to get out of the cage that he bloodied his head pretty badly trying to ram his way out. I saw him twice after the release but never again.

Now there is another huge and very pretty cat hanging around. I've been feeding him every night for a while and plan to trap him once I get a job. He is repaying me by spraying my front porch...and you know what that smells like!

DayPhoto said...

Those two are just down right beautiful! I would like to make them mine, but they are yours and they now know it.

Just for the record, I am very proud of you T! Very!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

las794 said...

Well done trapping those two big handsome brutes!

jay said...

I've been involved in trapping feral cats and even caught a few feral kittens with my hands - and been torn up for my pains!

I had to look up ear tipping, but it seems reasonable. I hate mutilating animals for no reason, and am against ear cropping and declawing and unnecessary tail-docking, but with a feral you'd need a clear visual signal that s/he doesn't need to be trapped again because s/he is aready 'done'.

Good work!

Anya said...

Lovely to see
all those BEAUTIFUL cats :-)
I hope they will find all a forever home !!!

Jan Mader said...

I have missed your wonderful posts too. They always inspire me to do more and this post was no exception.

Jane said...

Great to see you back! Handsome kittties, too, by the way!


Jane

Dana said...

You and your husband are such wonderful people. I had been feeding this male for a while but wanted to get the females fixed first. In 2009 I was able to catch 4 females 3 of them I had spayed and re-homed (2 with me :) and one was to sick, she had to go to kitty heaven. Now Im ready to have this tom fixed and he has disappeared :( I just hope no one did anything bad to him. Thanks for being such inspiration

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Hey T! Thanks for stopping by the blog and saying hey! I hope all is well with you and yours.

Take good care!
Til the next time..Stumpy and cyndi

tula monstah said...

hi T!

those guys keep ya busy! & are furry lucky to have you to take care of them. Looks like they were mugging for the photo:) too cute.

kissies,
tula

Andrea said...

Beautiful cats...I have so much respect for the work you do and for the care and love you give these animals. They are lucky to have you. :)

Fambly kittens said...

Yes, they jump on that wall and they know - they know that they are home and - at the same time - you know that you have made a difference. You have made a difference not only in that cat's life but the lives of all of the hundreds and thousands of kittens that will not be born into a world that has no room for them. They may not get born but their little hearts silently thank you.

Kady said...

Bless you for looking out for these beautiful creatures. We are kindred spirits in trying to help the stray and feral population. God bless you for your efforts. You're truly making a difference.

Nedine Says said...

I applaud your work. We have two cats that came to us as strays.Mother and son and the son is almost like a feral cat. Trying to rangle him for his yearly shots is quite"interesting" My rangler has battle scars and has to dress in battle gear to do it. But it is worth it and they are real characters.

Daniela said...

wow, those boys are gorgeous. Let me know how they do. I've been involved with TNR for about 20 years. I love those ferals.