Monday, November 17, 2008

Another Cat Angel In Heaven


You showed up a year and half ago. Just like all the rest, searching for food, shelter, a safe place to stay. It took almost a year before you decided it was ok to come into the yard off the cat walk. I remember the first time I walked out the back door and found you sleeping so peacefully on the patio swing, your eyes barely open, hoping I wouldn't notice, or make you leave.

Then I was finally able to pet your head, often times getting scratched in the process. I wouldn't give up though. I wanted you to know not all humans were bad. You were one of the easiest cats I have ever trapped. Really, I didn't actually trap you. I just put the trap out, baited it with food, and held the opening, and let you walk in, and I shut it behind you, so it wouldn't startle you when it shut. What a trooper you were. Everyone at the vets office during the spay-a-thon said you were the biggest cat there, and so quiet, among the 190 cats there that day for their spay/neuter, you my dear BT, received so many compliments for being so big and handsome.

Yes, you were a stray, turned feral. I believe you had a home at one time, what it was like, I have no idea. I have lots of guesses, as something has caused you to not trust the human hands.

You quickly became very possessive over me, not wanting other cats near me. You often sat by the back door, waiting for me to come out. You would follow me around the yard, never fearing the dogs, you knew you were safe here.

It is my nature to care for all animals, but I am attracted to the misunderstood, the unwanted, the sick and the needy, I suppose we can call those the special needs. You were misunderstood by many, but I understood you perfectly.

You were already old when you found your way to me. Your teeth were brown, the ones you had, you were missing many.

Just two months ago, you finally allowed me to pet you more. This last month I had been blessed with being able to hold you, and rub you behind the ears. Thank you for giving me that gift, a gift I will remember always. I never gave up on you BT. You were a good boy. A special boy. I miss you sitting at the door waiting for me. I miss you following me around the yard. I miss you talking to me in that husky tomcat meow, when I am bringing you wet food.

I missed you tonight when I brought out five bowls of wet food, and realized I made a mistake, I only needed four.
You are at Rainbow Bridge now, with all the others that had gone before you. You are free, safe, healthy and young once again.

I miss you BT, I hope when you left this earthly world, you knew how much you were loved. You deserved better. Your time with me was too short.

Rest in Peace Sweet Boy.

14 comments:

elsieflynn said...

oh, t, i'm so sad for you.
i was so hoping you would write about his regaining strength, not this. hugs to you. i'm so glad he let you hold him.

Dog_geek said...

Oh T, I'm so very sorry. You post has me sitting here in tears. Godspeed, BT - you will be missed!

Betty said...

I think he let you hold him because he knew how much you loved him...and he wanted to give and receive that gift before crossing over the bridge. Your stories about BT have been so wonderful. Just know that you gave him the most wonderful few months of his life! My heart goes out to you.

Stacy Disarrayed said...

I couldn't read it...not yet...or at least not at work.
You know how much I feel for you, I'm saddened and so sorry for your loss.
You're both in my thoughts.

Shirla said...

I'm so sorry T. {{{hugs}}}

flydragon said...

Such a sweet but sad story. He was one lucky cat to have found you even for a little while.

Dana said...

Im so sorry T, Im crying with you. Im so glad that you made the last days of his life a good life. Thank you T., for doing what you do. I truley mean that.

Anonymous said...

God Speed BT may you rest in peace. (((Hugs))) to you T and bless you for taking such wonderful care of these cats.

Katt said...

Awwww, I'm so sorry about BT. I can truly understand how you felt about him and about loving the misfits the most. Maybe your guys and my guys can meet and exchange stories at the end of the rainbow.

Ryan K said...

Now I'm crying :(

I hate times like these. Hope your doing ok.

Love, Ry

♥Caroline♥ said...

So sorry for your loss. It's a terrible thing to lose a member of your family.

Dana said...

I have an award for you on my site,

T said...

Thank you all! He is in a better place now, but I miss him terribly.

DayPhoto said...

Oh, Tammy, I am so sad he died in two short months you had him close to you.


I am so sad for him, yet not. Yet not.

Linda
yikes .. as i continue to be a "work in progress" learning my horses.. i learn tons of completely new and different stuff here.. you're incredible... i'm a wuss next to you... glad i can get the innside scoops here :)

blessings